Monday, November 21, 2005

The Heavy Things...

This morning I attended the first funeral for an Iraq war veteran. I hope it will be the last.

I was struck by the power of the marines, keeping vigil over the body from the moment he left Iraq throughout the long days and nights of travel, and until burial. I was struck by the minister reading the verses from Psalm 139, of God following us throughout our journeys, not unlike that Marine, keeping watch.

And even for this bleeding-heart liberal, left-leaning pacifist, the beauty of that faithfulness was striking.

I ache for the family of this young veteran. I simply ache. I ache for the wife of almost 11-months that he left behind, and the parents who will never hear their child's voice again.

War is hell.

I wonder what would happen in our culture if more high-ranking government officials were required to attend these funerals and listen to these stories.

War is simply hell.

I believe this very young man, the one with the dazzling smile, and contagious spirit must rest in the very lap of God now.


2 comments:

Pink Shoes said...

I've only been to one such funeral at which my husband preached and presided in a sea of Marines. The image that stands out strongest for me? When at the door of the church the Marines removed and folded the flag with the required precision from the coffin and the funeral pall was placed with similar precision.
Welcome to the RevGals.

see-through faith said...

sorry for your loss :(

sorry to say this - but I wonder what would happen in our culture if more high-ranking government officials were required to attend these funerals and listen to these stories. - I think they wouldnt care. their hearts have become stone like :(

welcome to rev gals. Hope I can write some more encouraging things later on.

I'm sorry for the loss of life of beautiful young men and women from the USA. It seems such a waste :(